For over 1400 years Christian faith has been celebrated in Northallerton. The history of the Parish Church shows the numerous changes throughout the periods since its origins in the mists of time. The Friarage Hospital is a reminder of the significant place of the monastic tradition in North Yorkshire, evident still in nearby abbeys at Mount Grace, Byland, Rievaulx, Jervaulx and Fountains which today still signal the spiritual dimension of life. Northallerton has been linked with the Dioceses of York and Durham. It was a summer palace for the Bishops of Durham and Northallerton Grammar School had a religious foundation. Today Christian faith is represented along the High Street by churches of the Baptist, Church of England, Methodist, Salvation Army, United Reformed and Roman Catholic traditions. A local covenant exists between town and village churches. The Thirsk and Northallerton Methodist Circuit and the Mowbray Church of England Deanery recently signed one of the first covenants of its kind in the country. The churches worship, work and witness together sharing local chaplaincies and the Christian Bookshop on the High Street.